This summer my mom took me to Waco, TX for my birthday. We flew into Dallas, TX from Fort Myers, FL and we then drove to stay with friends in Austin, TX for the night. We woke up early the next morning so we would have the whole day exploring Waco before we drove toward Louisiana to visit family, and see my cousin get married. We got our Jesus chicken, thank you Chick-Fil-A for always coming through, and then we headed toward Waco. Our first stop in Waco was Magnolia Market!
Surprise, surprise my number one favorite place we went to on our day trip in Waco, TX was Magnolia Market. I have been watching Fixer Upper since their first show on HGTV so to be at Magnolia Market was so surreal. I watched them on TV buying the Silos and even remodeling the bakery. I was so excited and it did not disappoint.
- Skip the cute shoes. Because honey you will do some walking, some standing, and some more walking and I promise your feet will be hurting!
- If you have a chance to go in the Fall or Winter time, do it. We went in August and this FL girl was HOT in that Texas heat.
- While shopping in Magnolia Market look for workers walking around with iPad’s they can check you out if you don’t have too many items and you can bypass the huge line to the registers.
- Make sure to check out the yummy food trucks! We had “Summer Snow” which was a snow cone food truck…YUM. To read about more of the food truck options you can click here.
We started at the bakery (for obvious reasons) and they have that backed up line moving quicker than a line for a ride at Disney World! Seriously, do not look at the backed up line and think it will take too long, if you do pass up the line you will be missing out on some delicious cupcakes that are well worth the wait. We were only in line for probably 10-15 minutes at the most. Most of your wait is outside under a pop up tent and they have fans blowing on you. Once you reach the area where there is no more shade they have adorable umbrellas for you to use to block the hot sun.
- Buy more cupcakes than you think you’re going to eat-I mean DUH! We only bought one because we had just eating Chick-fil-a but they were so good we wished we would’ve gotten more.
- Avoid the flower drink in the glass bottle. In the coolers at the Bakery they have two options: water or some type of flower drink. We thankfully bought both but unless you know you like flower tasting drinks I would not purchase it, even though the bottle is SO cute.
Magnolia Seed + Supply
Neither my mom nor myself have gardens so this wasn’t super exciting but we went inside anyways just for the full Magnolia Market experience. If you love to garden you will love this cute little gardening shop, but for us it was just alright. I will say the garden outside of the Seed + Supply shop is beautiful and totally #gardengoals.
After Magnolia Market we walked across the street to a design/decor store called The Findery. They have some amazing furniture and decor pieces. If I didn’t have to fit my purchases into a tiny suitcase I probably would’ve bought the entire store.
- Don’t spend all your money at Magnolia Market. The Findery has some amazing decor pieces that you will definitely fall in love with!
Harp Design Co.
Harp Design Co. comes in third on my list of places to visit on your day trip to Waco, TX. Harp Design Co. is just a short 10 minute drive from the silos so it definitely is worth a stop in, just so you get the full Waco/Fixer Upper experience. The whole entire store is almost pictured in the second picture above, so it is TINY! They didn’t have a ton of decor selections to choose from but it was still a neat place to see. Also, right next door to Harp Design Co. is Clint and Kelly Harp’s home that Chip and Joanna Gaines remodeled, so freakin’ cute.
Jimmy Dons Iron Designs
We ended our day trip to Waco at Jimmy Dons Iron Design Shop. Jimmy Dons shop was unfortunately in the middle of nowhere, about 45+ minutes from Magnolia Market. We wanted to at least go take a look to see if they had more sign options than what was available at Magnolia Market. Honestly, if you are running out of time or don’t feel like making the 45+ minute drive than I would recommend buying one of the JDH Iron Designs from Magnolia Market. Magnolia Market definitely had the best options for Jimmy Dons Signs!
If you get the chance to go to Waco, TX even if it is just for a day I highly recommend it! If you’re worried about not having enough time in Waco, I promise you can see all the “famous” Fixer Upper spots in one day without feeling rushed. If you have any questions about my trip to Waco please don’t hesitate to ask!
P.S mom if you’re reading this, I love you and thank you for making my dreams a reality by taking me to Waco. The only thing I am disappointed about is that you didn’t set up a meet and greet with Chip and Jo…next time. 😉